Community & Education > Lustgarten Foundation
Cablevision Systems Corporation is dedicated to advancing The Lustgarten Foundation's efforts to increase research for pancreatic cancer, America's fourth-leading cause of cancer deaths. In late 2008, Cablevision and The Lustgarten Foundation together launched curePC, a public awareness campaign in support of the fight against pancreatic cancer. As part of this campaign, Cablevision made a multi-year commitment to underwrite all of The Lustgarten Foundation's administrative costs to ensure that 100 percent of every dollar donated to the Foundation goes directly to pancreatic cancer research.
The Lustgarten Foundation was founded in 1998 with the help of Cablevision in honor of Marc Lustgarten, a Cablevision executive who died from pancreatic cancer. Since its inception, the Foundation has made real strides in helping to change the course of this deadly disease by stimulating scientific and clinical research related to the diagnosis, treatment, cure and prevention of pancreatic cancer. Today, the Foundation is the nation's largest private supporter of pancreatic cancer research.
The Foundation's work includes:
- Increasing funding and support of research related to the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic cancer
- Facilitating and enhancing the dialogue among the medical and scientific communities about research efforts that relate to pancreatic cancer
- Advocating an increase in the National Cancer Institute's annual budget with emphasis on research related to pancreatic cancer
- Heightening the public's awareness of pancreatic cancer diagnosis, treatment and prevention
- Providing informational support for pancreatic cancer patients, their families and friends
Pancreatic cancer has no early diagnostic test, no effective treatment and, unless detected in its earliest stages, no cure. This year 44,000 people will be diagnosed with this lethal disease and most are only given a few months to live. Working together, Cablevision and The Lustgarten Foundation aim to increase research for pancreatic cancer. Their efforts to raise awareness of the severity of the disease include creating public service announcements and an online presence as part of the curePC campaign. Cablevision also is using its portfolio of media and entertainment assets to reach millions of people through its cable system, local networks, print publications, movie theatres and more.
Please join Cablevision and The Lustgarten Foundation in the fight against pancreatic cancer. Visit curePC.org and learn how you can help defeat this deadly disease.